I’ve got a post up at Where Creativity Meets C9 today. Just a short while left to join us in this month’s challenge. There are prizes! Come take a look.
This month it’s all about Clean and Simple and this is my card for the group challenge post. And I love it. There is a bear. Peeking through a window. Oh my gosh, it makes me giggle. I love his expression. He’s all “I know this might be creepy, but come on, I’m adorable. Let me in. Do you have snacks?” Now, I couldn’t exactly fit that on the card front as a sentiment, so I went with “congrats”. 🙂
This card is actually pretty simple. So, the card base is yellow cardstock that I clear embossed with a great background stamp from Hero Arts. The window is a die from My Favorite Things. The window frame is clear embossed on kraft card stock with a woodgrain stamp from Hero Arts. The background of the window, or, you know, the sky… I just used a wide marker Copic, BG10, and swiped that all over it to make it sky colored.
In this close-up you can see Mr. Bear again, in all his adorableness. And, you can also see that I used a star outline stamp from the Jane’s Doodles set to stamp some images in the sky. And then used a glitter pen to color those in for some interest.
I’ve got an adorable, if I do say so myself, set of tags over at A Blog Named Hero today. Go check it out, I bet you laugh.
I needed to make a Valentine’s Day card for my husband. We have a “tradition” for cards for Valentine’s and our anniversary, where I make a card, write it out to him, and then he writes back in it to me. I know, goofy, But I love it. So I like to keep them simple, and easy to write in on the inside. So nothing super dimensional on the front so the inside front isn’t lumpy.
I used my stash of bamboo felt and die cut two hearts each out of three colors. I figured out where they’d go on the front of the card and then stamped my sentiment beneath. Wow, that Perfectly Penned stamp set is very forgiving. I think I might be in love with it! I used versafine ink and then clear embossed over it; I figured this would help me cover up any mistakes I might have made.
Once the sentiment was finished I adhered the same color felt hearts to each other, on one side of the center, using a glue dot. Then I used another glue dot on the bottom, also to one side of the center, to adhere it to the kraft card stock. This was to keep them in place for sewing. Which is not my forte. Ahem. Let’s just say that there is a lot of muttering when it comes to me and sewing machines. And that’s just to get it threaded. Ahem ahem.
Sewed the hearts on, and removed the glue dots. I had planned to puff the hearts up with either some foam or a 3d glue dot, but after all the futzing I did with them, they were more than happy to just stick up on their own. I then used some foam tape to adhere the card front to a card base that I had stamped with the Barnwood background stamp.
And that’s my card. I love it. And it was simple enough where if you need to make multiples for kids or relatives, it would be very easy to do so.
I hope you have a month full of Love. Let’s just go big, a lifetime full of love. 🙂
I’ve got a pretty card over at Where Creativity Meets C9 today. I liked the front so much I didn’t even add a sentiment. Ha!
We are collaborating with Right at Home stamps this month at A Blog Named Hero. I’d love for you to take a look.
The first new thing for my card is the stamp set! Have you seen the new release from Concord & 9th? It’s fantastic, as always. And requires a thorough browsing. 🙂 This set is called Best Banners. And it is awesome. So many things you can do with it, and the coordinating dies? To die for. Get it? I can tell that I’ll be reaching for these dies over and over.
For this card I used two of the banner stamps, and created a repeating background pattern, using some different colored inks. Easy, and somewhat meditative, at least for me. Then I cut the banner out of black card stock three times. Adhered those to each other, covered with some glitter marker, and then a layer of glossy accents, to finish it off.
Now, here’s the second “Try Something New” part of this card. I knew that I wanted to use a piece of vellum on this, and I needed to use vellum for two reasons. One, is that I wanted to get the rest of the sentiment somewhere on the card without distracting from that background. And two, ahem, is that I might have had a little ink boo boo from when I was positioning those banner stamps in the background. Okay, I did have an ink boo boo. It’s directly underneath the loop in the “b”. Can you see it? Nope, I didn’t think so.
How would I get the vellum to stick to the card base? That is the million dollar question in our hobby, and I had an idea.
I cut another banner from black card stock, after I applied Stick-it adhesive to both sides of the card stock. This would give me a banner with adhesive on both the front and back of the die cut.
Here’s what I did:
- Stamped the rest of the sentiment onto the vellum with black versafine ink and then used clear embossing powder on it, to make sure it didn’t smear on the vellum.
- Adhered the layered die cut in place on the vellum with Ranger matte medium.
- Turned this piece of vellum over and then removed the front adhesive from the front of that additional die cut.
- Placed that onto the back of the vellum directly over the already placed die cut.
- Removed the adhesive from the back of the die cut and adhered to the card front!