I’ve got an adorable, if I do say so myself, set of tags over at A Blog Named Hero today. Go check it out, I bet you laugh.
The first new thing for my card is the stamp set! Have you seen the new release from Concord & 9th? It’s fantastic, as always. And requires a thorough browsing. 🙂 This set is called Best Banners. And it is awesome. So many things you can do with it, and the coordinating dies? To die for. Get it? I can tell that I’ll be reaching for these dies over and over.
For this card I used two of the banner stamps, and created a repeating background pattern, using some different colored inks. Easy, and somewhat meditative, at least for me. Then I cut the banner out of black card stock three times. Adhered those to each other, covered with some glitter marker, and then a layer of glossy accents, to finish it off.
Now, here’s the second “Try Something New” part of this card. I knew that I wanted to use a piece of vellum on this, and I needed to use vellum for two reasons. One, is that I wanted to get the rest of the sentiment somewhere on the card without distracting from that background. And two, ahem, is that I might have had a little ink boo boo from when I was positioning those banner stamps in the background. Okay, I did have an ink boo boo. It’s directly underneath the loop in the “b”. Can you see it? Nope, I didn’t think so.
How would I get the vellum to stick to the card base? That is the million dollar question in our hobby, and I had an idea.
I cut another banner from black card stock, after I applied Stick-it adhesive to both sides of the card stock. This would give me a banner with adhesive on both the front and back of the die cut.
Here’s what I did:
- Stamped the rest of the sentiment onto the vellum with black versafine ink and then used clear embossing powder on it, to make sure it didn’t smear on the vellum.
- Adhered the layered die cut in place on the vellum with Ranger matte medium.
- Turned this piece of vellum over and then removed the front adhesive from the front of that additional die cut.
- Placed that onto the back of the vellum directly over the already placed die cut.
- Removed the adhesive from the back of the die cut and adhered to the card front!
I’ve got an easy card up over at Where Creativity Meets C9 today. Come see how I messed it up. 🙂
It’s time for our new challenge over at Where Creativity Meets C9, and this month it’s all about Winter. Which I love. And since I live in the desert, our winter comes across in a very subtle way. Chilly nights. Cool breezes. It’s really the reason we all put up with the summer heat.
I translated that into cool blue cardstock and embossed vellum. No snow flakes for this girl!
I stamped and embossed the large flower from Hello Lovely a few times onto some vellum cardstock. Then I just fussy cut around most of the individual elements, and started layering them onto the same image, which I’d embossed onto some colored cardstock. I’m not a naturally enthusiastic fussy cutter, but this was a bit therapeutic today, and wasn’t so bad.
I used glue dots to adhere the bits and pieces to the cardstock, and on the pieces that are long and delicate, I left a bit of a “tail” so that I could use that area for the adhesive, and then tuck it under the main floral image.
A simple embossed sentiment from the new Kindhearted stamp set, and then some sequins, and this card is complete. It’s simple, yet fussy. Sort of like someone I know.
Today I am honored to be a part of the Hero Arts + A Blog Named Hero Holiday Blog Hop! You likely came here from the wonderful Libby Hickson’s blog. I’m so thankful that I got to meet Libby this year. She’s super sweet, and fun, and I wish we had had more time to spend together. Maybe next year. 🙂
This year’s Holiday Release from Hero Arts is just spectacular, and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on some (if not all) of the new goodies. Here’s a card I made using one of the new background stamps, Candy Stripe bold prints. It’s such a great stamp, and I know it will see lots of use from me, year round. Paired that with one of the Lia Griffith wood block stamps, Merry & Bright by Lia. I’m hoping that there are stamps in this format for every release that Hero Arts does going forward. They’re perfect for an elegant, simple sentiment, and I will use these for a very long time.
I stamped the sentiment with versamark onto some vellum cardstock, then used the new platinum embossing powder from Hero Arts. It’s just the perfect shade of metallic for my taste. The background was stamped onto some paper and also embossed with the same embossing powder. I then used two shades of Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers to color the stripes. If you notice, the top left is a stronger, darker color, and it fades out to the bottom right. I did that by coloring with the markers in the top left, and then using a waterbrush to drag the color down.
So that you could see the sentiment on the vellum better, I hand stitched it onto a piece of white cardstock, and then popped that up onto the card front. I used metallic thread for that, to match the embossing powder.
Here’s a list of the blog hop participants, I hope you’ll stop by everyone’s blog. We have some amazing projects for you, and there’s a giveaway! Hero Arts has stashed away THREE of the November 2015 My Monthly Hero kits to giveaway to readers of this hop. The winners will be randomly chosen from all of the blog hop comments, across all blogs, received by 11:59pm PST on Sunday, November 22nd. Check the Hero Arts blog for the announcement of the winner on Tuesday, November 24th.
Next stop on the hop is Niki Garcia. I’ve had a peek at what she’s made, you’re going to love it.
Isabel Rivera Ruiz
If you happen to find a link that doesn’t work, you can hop back to the Hero Arts Blog for a list of direct links to all the blogs in today’s hop.
Thanks for hopping by!