The first new thing for my card is the stamp set! Have you seen the new release from Concord & 9th? It’s fantastic, as always. And requires a thorough browsing. 🙂 This set is called Best Banners. And it is awesome. So many things you can do with it, and the coordinating dies? To die for. Get it? I can tell that I’ll be reaching for these dies over and over.
For this card I used two of the banner stamps, and created a repeating background pattern, using some different colored inks. Easy, and somewhat meditative, at least for me. Then I cut the banner out of black card stock three times. Adhered those to each other, covered with some glitter marker, and then a layer of glossy accents, to finish it off.
Now, here’s the second “Try Something New” part of this card. I knew that I wanted to use a piece of vellum on this, and I needed to use vellum for two reasons. One, is that I wanted to get the rest of the sentiment somewhere on the card without distracting from that background. And two, ahem, is that I might have had a little ink boo boo from when I was positioning those banner stamps in the background. Okay, I did have an ink boo boo. It’s directly underneath the loop in the “b”. Can you see it? Nope, I didn’t think so.
How would I get the vellum to stick to the card base? That is the million dollar question in our hobby, and I had an idea.
I cut another banner from black card stock, after I applied Stick-it adhesive to both sides of the card stock. This would give me a banner with adhesive on both the front and back of the die cut.
Here’s what I did:
- Stamped the rest of the sentiment onto the vellum with black versafine ink and then used clear embossing powder on it, to make sure it didn’t smear on the vellum.
- Adhered the layered die cut in place on the vellum with Ranger matte medium.
- Turned this piece of vellum over and then removed the front adhesive from the front of that additional die cut.
- Placed that onto the back of the vellum directly over the already placed die cut.
- Removed the adhesive from the back of the die cut and adhered to the card front!